Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Apple Yorkshire Pudding

IMG_7831

I was born and raised in New England, but I have been away so long I had forgotten what a true East Coast change of seasons felt like. I've since spent several autumns in the Mediterranean and even one in Mesopotamia, during which time I missed the buzz I get with the transition from summer to Fall. Now that I'm back in Manhattan, I'm flooded with the excitement that comes when the air starts to chill. My favorite part about this is the chance to enjoy locally grown fruits and vegetables characteristic of Fall.  I'm picking out a different variety of squash every day: roasting, drizzling with maple syrup, devouring.

IMG_7809

My Green Market is overflowing with bushels of apples just waiting to be snacked on, sliced, eaten with almond butter or cheddar cheese, sautéed with thick, center cut pork chops, or cut up and folded into a delicious dessert.

The recipe for this apple Yorkshire pudding comes from my Grandmother Ruth's recipe box. I halved the sugar that Ruth used, so this works great for breakfast or for dessert.  It's a luscious, buttery and only takes a few minutes to prepare.  You can slide it into the oven when you wake up in the morning or as you sit down for your main course at dinner.  By the time you're ready for dessert, it'll be sizzling and golden brown and your whole house will smell like pure bliss.  You know that smell, right?

IMG_7817

Apple Yorkshire Pudding
4 - 6 servings
The amount of butter will feel excessive while you're making this, but just ignore that.  I reduced the amount of sugar already, but it's the butter that makes it really good.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 apples, peeled and sliced
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix the flour, milk, eggs and salt in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
Add the apples and stir to coat with the batter.
Butter a pie dish or a 9 x 9 baking pan using a bit of the 4 tablespoons butter, then slice the rest of the butter and arrange the slices around the bottom of your baking dish.
Mix the sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle it evenly over the dessert.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes and serve hot. 

20 comments:

  1. I am starting to seriously hate your grandma Ruth's recipe box.... I'm supposed to be on a freaking diet!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your grandma Ruth really knew her sweets! Sounds delicious and very decadent for an apple cake....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moomser: That's why I cut half the sugar!! Sorry :)

    Pola- I know!! There's a lot more where that came from, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all for keeping the butter and cutting back on the sugar! The perfect recipe for this beautiful Fall day in New England. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds amazing...definitely making this pronto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole: it's wonderful to see that you are settling back into your "place" and that life is taking it's own pace, changing slowly with the leaves and the season. I can't wait to make this recipe (and what a sweet box it comes from!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'll bet the butter makes it good! :-) I love, no, WE love apple desserts and this is so wonderful and tempting! And how I love autumn, love it, love the change in the weather and the fabulous abundance of autumn fruit and vegetables at the market. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, yes, I know the blissful smell of apples and cinnamon, baking in the oven---one of the season's best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious and a great way to use up extra apples!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Perfect for a New England fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I'm craving the scent of baking apples. This looks perfect. I think I'm going to have to run out and buy some apples.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got caught up—you've been very busy. I want Apple Yorkshire Pudding. I know that smell. I love NYC in the fall. We visited family at Halloween last year and it was crisp, not to mention just abundant with everything, EVERYTHING. Walks through the parks. Strolls through the markets. Coffee. More coffee. Multiple course meals. I digress. I need to take a another look at that cookie recipe below.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one great post. As it is apple season here in Nashville...lots of varieties at the local farmer's markets....I think this is just the thing. Your recipe is beautiful and rustic, homey and elegant and just the thing for October. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nicole,

    I just made this in the morning for breakfast, the butter made it delicious, very simple to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eating my first few warm-from-the-oven bites. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...and I think I need to make this again, today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cooked it at home once, it was not good. But I will try your recipe. I hope I will make good this time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post!https://andbabycakesthree.blogspot.com/2011/10/apple-yorkshire-pudding.html?showComment=1565964632468#c8548659664679676265

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...