Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Art of Baking

It's hot in Rome. Maybe not as hot as the East Coast of the United States, but it's Eternal City hot. The pollution is worse with the heat and we're stuck inside again. Baby Roman is uncomfortable. All his teeth are coming in at once and he won't be put down. We're waiting out the month of July until we can escape the city for the sea in Sardinia.

About six years ago I met a Canadian artist named Julia Gilmore at the Baltimore Art Festival. I have been following her work ever since, hoping to one day purchase one of her paintings. Since I am not baking right now, I thought I would share Julia's artwork. She paints a lot of different subjects, with a unique retro/vintage vibe. I'm particularly in love with her images of desserts. They conjure up images of how I think birthdays are supposed to be celebrated- with layer cakes, moist, chocolatey and with plenty of frosting.

I hope you enjoy her artwork as much as I do. I'd love to bake a four-layer cake in the fall. For now I think I'll settle for a cold gelato.

2 comments:

  1. They are great! I always look for a cool food paintings. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That last cake looks just like the one mom made for my 6th grade graduation-it was mocha frosting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...