Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Brownies - lifting spirits

These days, my refrigerator is stocked with kale, mushrooms of all shapes and sizes, colorful peppers.  I  buy so much fruit we can barely eat it before it gets too ripe.  But today I want to share a brownie recipe because this time of year  there is already enough nutritional advice being dished out.  This is about lifting spirits, and these brownies have that capability.  

IMG_9640 

In August, a close relative cautioned me not to lose myself with the birth of my second child. I think a lot about what aspects I may have lost, whether those features of my life/self were important to me and how becoming responsible for two small people opened up a whole new world.  Some days I feel like super woman, capable of carrying a large baby through the NYC streets in 19 degree weather, toting all the groceries,  naming every car make and model in a four  block radius for an eager three year old.  Other days, I feel vulnerable, crouched deep in the trenches of motherhood with a sick child, overwhelmed with the sheer duty to these two young lives, but abounding with love. 

 IMG_9634 

While I can strive to find balance and prioritize time for myself, the fact is, my work is cut out for me. My joy comes (in between tantrums) in the form of restorative hugs, toothy grins, impromptu dance parties with Roman. When I need a little guilty pleasure that I don't need to share, there is chocolate.  Not meditation, yoga or free time- but chocolate.

 IMG_9635 

There is no 'one size fits all' recipe for brownies.  There are a million versions that people claim are the best, and maybe they're all partially right. I have strong opinions in this matter and my ultimate brownie is flourless, almost fudge-like, loaded with toasted walnuts, and made with the best chocolate I could find.

IMG_9654 

I wish you all the best in 2013.  I hope you'll treat yourself to something delicious on your way.

My Best Brownies
This brownie recipe from Ready for Dessert by David Lebovitz knocked my socks off, although I made a few changes to his already "perfect" brownies.  I substituted hazelnut flour for the all-purpose flour.  I also added espresso powder to make the chocolate stand out even more.  I have written the recipe below exactly as I made it.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used Callebaut)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup hazelnut flour (you could also use almond flour or regular flour)
1 cup toasted walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line the inside of a square cake pan (mine was 8 inch) with parchment.  Lightly grease the parchment with butter.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, then add the chocolate and stir over medium heat until the chocolate is melted and smooth.  Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, espresso powder and vanilla until combined.  With your wooden spoon, beat in the eggs one at a time.  Add the hazelnut flour and stir energetically for one full minute.  Stir in the chopped, toasted nuts.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the center feels almost set.  This took about 40 minutes for me, but check starting at 30.  Let cool completely in the pan before lifting out the parchment to remove the brownies.  These will keep for four days at room temperature.  I chose to wrap mine individually and freeze them for a treat when I need it.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, those looks so moist and scrumptious. Toasted walnuts. Yes. Early this morning I walked down the hill and treated myself to a little reading and an almond croissant. It was wonderful. You probably deserve your brownies more than I deserve my croissant, but it's all relative, right? So good to see you here, Nicole. I've missed your writing voice. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, I will try to make it back more often!

      Delete
  2. Nicole: welcome into 2013! I too have missed your wonderful, warm, open "writing voice", as Denise calls it. I am so happy to see you are rewarding yourself, because you deserve every bite. I love the image of your impromptu dance parties with Roman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, thank you! I knew I kept Shakira on my I-pod for a reason :)

      Delete
  3. Those brownies look truly uplifting! A perfect start for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, these brownies would certainly lift up my spirit. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! My husband calls them "crack"- scary but true!

      Delete
  5. Chocolate Brownies are a little pleasure to enjoy are they not? I don't eat them often but when I do I savour every bite. Beautiful, beautiful brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! They would have been a nice ending to your Bouillabaise.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nichole,
    I know that I am one of those people who believes she has "the best" brownie recipe---but I must say, yours challenges that notion! I echo Teresa's comment: "beautiful beautiful brownies."

    and best wishes to you in 2013. Yes, you have your work cut out for you with two wee ones, but with your loving spirit and chocolate, you'll manage very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, there is a perfect brownie for each and everyone of us. And, likewise, there is a perfect way of being a mother for each one of us. As mothers, I totally agree, we do tend to lose ourselves for a while. Some for weeks, some for months, some for years. I do think it is important to remember we are our own person but when and how changes enormously for each of us. In the meantime, chocolate is definitely a great way to survive or celebrate being super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at these delicious brownies makes me hungry, i can't wait to try this. I just love brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!Amazing recipes!but I need a lit help maybe...why do my brownies have not the crust on the top? I mean, if I got right, they should be lighter on the top, but my brownies are just really dark, with no crust, more like a cake...this happens to me all the times, with any recipe...where is my mistake?please help me!thanx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, sorry I can't offer much advice- maybe it's an oven temperature issue?

      Delete
    2. perfect!!with this recipe...problem solved!!finally I found the one that satisfies me!thanx!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...